Application deadline for IDEM Stewardship Program
IDEM is accepting new member applications to the Environmental Stewardship Program through May 31.
Apply to become a member of IDEM's Environmental Stewardship Program!
Are you interested in having your business recognized as one of Indiana’s top environmental leaders? Do you want regulatory benefits such as reduced reporting or advanced notice for compliance inspections? The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) encourages you to apply for the Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP).
Applications are now being accepted through May 31, 2019. Any regulated entity in Indiana may apply regardless of type, size, or complexity. To qualify for Indiana's Environmental Stewardship Program, applicants must demonstrate that they have: a standard of environmental compliance; implement and maintain an environmental management system (EMS); and are committed to continuous environmental improvement.
ESP is a voluntary, performance based leadership program designed to recognize and reward Indiana regulated entities for going above and beyond current environmental regulations. In return for exemplary environmental performance, members can receive program incentives including regulatory flexibility, recognition, and networking opportunities. Program standards are outlined in 326 IAC 25-1, 327 IAC 18-1, and 329 IAC 18-1.
To apply for ESP, please follow these steps:
- Verify that your compliance history is accurately represented on U.S. EPA's ECHO database.
- For confidential assistance with an environmental compliance or regulatory question, contact IDEM's Compliance & Technical Assistance Program (CTAP) at 800-988-7901.
- Ensure that your environmental management system meets the guidelines of the program by completing the EMS Checklist [PDF].
- Conduct an independent audit of your Environmental Management System.
- Review the ESP Application Instructions [PDF].
- Reference the Environmental Performance Table [PDF].
- Submit an ESP Application to the ESP Program Manager at esp@idem.IN.gov by May 31, 2019.
Application review process takes approximately 90 days:
- Days 1-30: IDEM completes the administrative review and does an environmental compliance check within the last three years.
- Days 31-60: The ESP program manager will conduct a site visit to tour the facility and review your Environmental Management System. In addition, an IDEM CTAP staff member will be present to discuss any regulatory requirements. Notes and information gathered while at this visit are not confidential under the CTAP confidentiality clause. For confidential assistance, contact IDEM's Compliance & Technical Assistance Program at 800-988-7901 for confidential assistance with an environmental compliance or regulatory question before applying to ESP.
- Days 61-90: IDEM senior management reviews the application. Upon approval, IDEM’s Commissioner signs the acceptance letter and certificate. The certificate can be mailed or presented in an onsite ceremony after acceptance, depending on your preference. You will also be invited to request environmental regulatory incentives upon acceptance into the program.
Responsibilities of ESP Members:
ESP Members must maintain a standard of environmental compliance; an environmental management system (EMS); and continue implementing environmental improvement projects. IDEM requires that members submit an annual performance report (APR), available on the IDEM Forms page, due April 1. The ESP membership term lasts for four years and renewals must be requested when submitting the fourth APR. The renewal review process is the same as becoming a new member.
If you are not prepared to apply this spring, another round of applications will be accepted September 1 - October 31, 2019. More information is available online at http://www.IN.gov/idem/